HapkidoNetwork.com

Hapkido network and Hapkido forum: Make friends, share photos & more!

On the 'hapkido on fight quest' forum a statement was made which raised a few questions for me.

"...I have found it vastly different from the style of HapKiDo I studied in the US..." - AllanJGAnderson

The reason is the Hapkido they showed to us on Fightquest was fairly close to what I'm currently studying here in Canada.

My questions would be:
a)How many different Hapkido styles are there out there?
b)Exactly how different are they?

Views: 2832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I am only familiar with two styles personally. I studied Chon Tu Kwan (전투관) and Ulji Kwan(을지관). In the US I trained Chontu or Combat HapKiDo. This was more focused on CQC, small arms, and combat effective, technique. I wouldn't call it watered down, as much as I'd say the focus was different. More about sudden application of force and speed over finesse and grace.
Here in Korea, I have been training Ulji Kwan, under Master Bae (featured on the Fight Quest Episode) where the focus is more on finesse and technique. Also we incorporate lots of Kumdo (검도) philosophy and movement, which I find to be quite unique as they relate perfectly to one another.
Also, back in the states there was a much larger focus on ground fighting and grappling. Here it's almost non-existent in our HapKiDo training.
In my years in hapkido I have ran across more styles than I can count. Everyone seems to have their own style nowadays. Most seem to be fairly new and nothing ,ore than hapkido with something else mingled in. Myself, I have trained in Sin Moo Hapkido under Master Cedric Hurst, Chon Mu Hapkido under (I believe it was) Pak Un Chon (It was quite a few years back) and my Grandmaster is Lee, Jung Bai. He attained his 7th under Choi and his 8th & 9th under Ji, Han Jae. His Hapkido is his flavor.
Though the Hapkido under Master Hurst is Sin Moo, it was more of a Muai Thai/TKD influenced thing. Chon Mu was a TKD influenced thing and my Gm's art is, well different and to me the better of the 3.

I agree. I've also found that the core wrist lock, take downs, shoulder and limb twists are all the same, with the approach to applying these often the difference, with different applications of ki. I learn something different everytime I meet someone from another Hapkido school.

It would be interesting to see a complete list, or at least as complete as someone could manage, with a brief description of each style and its origins.
I cursory search of Google got me this list, which is considerably shorter than the 87+ I've heard spoken of:

1. Kyung Moo Kwan (GM KIM Nam Jae, 8th Dan)
2. Eul Ji Kwan (GM KIM Hyung Sang, 8th Dan)
3. Yun Moo Kwan (GM LEE Ho Il, 8th Dan)
4. Yoo Sool Won (GM YOO Sang Ho, 9th Dan)
5. Jin Jung Kwan (GM LEE Chang Soo, 8th Dan)
6. Ki Moo Kwan (GM IM Hyun Yong)
7. Pyung Moo Kwan
8. Soong Moo Kwan (GM LEE Jung Moon)
9. Hak Moo Kwan (GM LEE Yong Sik)
10. Kum Moo Kwan (GM JUNG Soon Sung, 8th Dan)
11. Kuk Sool Kwan (GM KIM Woo Tak)
12. Dong Yi Kwan (GM KANG Tae Soo)
13. Bong Moo Kwan (GM IM Myung Sup, 8th Dan)
14. Yun Moo Kwan - Kwang Ju
15. Huek Joo Kwan (GM JIN Jong Moon, 9th Dan)
16. Moo Moo Kwan (GM KIM Yong Chang)
17. Chun Ji Kwan (GM KIM Byung Soo, 8th Dan)
18. Se Sung Kwan (GM JUNG Ik Chul, 7th Dan)
19. Kuh Ho Kwan (GM CHUN Won Il, 8th Dan)
20. Koryo Chun Tong Moo Ye Won
21. Kang Moo Kwan (GM CHUN Man Bae)
22. Hyo Chun Kwan (GM YOO Dong Gu, 7th Dan)
23. So Rim Kwan
24. Song Won Kwan (GM JUNG Bong Ok, 8th Dan)
25. Yoo Sung Kwan (GM KIM Nam Kyu)
26. Yon Bi Kwan (GM KIM Jung Soo)
27. Han Moo Kwan (GM SONG Young Ki, 9th Dan)
28. Yoo Sool Kwan (GM BYUN Young Dae)
29. Da Mool Moo Kwan
30. Se Sim Kwan (GM YOO Ki Hyun, 7th Dan)
31. Ki Sim Kwan (GM SUH Kwang Won, 8th Dan)
32. Duk Moo Kwan (GM SUH Myung Il, 8th Dan)
33. Kwang Moo Kwan (GM NO Kwang Yul, 8th Dan)
34. Yong Moo Kwan (GM LEE Dong Woo, 9th Dan)
35. Chun Do Kwan (GM YU Chun Hee, 8th Dan)
36. In Moo Kwan (GM NA In Dong, 9th Dan)
37. Tae Moo Kwan (GM JUNG Ki Chul, 8th Dan)
38. Kun Moo Kwan (GM HAN Kyu Il, 8th Dan)
39. Soo Do Kwan (GM OH Jae Suk)
40. Chung Kyum Kwan (GM CHOI Suk Hwan)
Sorry to see that Mr. Richard Hackworth and his haemukwan didnt make the list.

Also, 15. Huek Joo Kwan (GM JIN Jong Moon, 9th Dan) is actually heuk choo kwan and jin jung moon has retired and his son jin jong sin took over years ago. I just did my 2nd dan testing seminar with heuk choo kwan I know father and son. cant wait till march for my 3rd dan testing.

15. Huek choo Kwan (GM JIN Jong Moon, 9th Dan)

16. Moo Moo Kwan (GM KIM Yong Chang)

17. Chun Ji Kwan (GM KIM Byung Soo, 8th Dan)

Ive been in korea a yr and Ive meet these amazing practisioners. Ive also studied with Daejeon martial arts accociation.

this is more for the "to train in your martial arts country or does it really matter" topic

yes Mr. Hackworth's name certainly should be on this partial list unless we are only listing korean stylists. There are as it has been stated already here too many styles of hapkido to list from one persons observation alone so this was a very good question and hopeully we can keep adding names here I for one shall keep track of what we come up with attempt to verify each and make us up a list of current and past styles of hapkido with a brief description of each when i can find it. I am working on developing a hapkido facts archive with data from every source i can find. It will be available for free viewing by all hapkidoist. so if you have any pertainent information you would like to see added e-mail it too me at adroithapkido@yahoo.com with archive in the subject line.

You can add :

41. Jung Ki Kwan (GM LIM Hyun-Soo, 9th dan from CHOI Young-Sul)

These are the offical kwans of the Korean Hapkido Federation. The kwans for the International Hapkido Federation and the Kido Hae are not listed.
Sadly, I never learned which 'style' of Hapkido I've practiced.  I claim to study and teach Hapkido.   I've had three different teachers from three different areas of the USA at three different times of my life.  It's been my opinion that all of the 'styles' of Hapkido are the same as far as the three principles are concerned even though some will call non-resistance, harmony or joining principle, and the water principle, the flow principle.  Some will focus more on the joint manipulations and throws while others focus a lot on the kicks with the spinning kick being the hallmark.  Some with weapons, some without.  Some now even have forms (borrowed or created).  Ultimately, I think the different 'styles' are simply a culmination of what the founder thought was most important (or capable of actually performing, teaching or simply what he remembered) or wanted to add because of influences from other systems and then organized it into a curriculum and named it. 
I practice the "style" taught by Marc Tedeschi, though annoyingly, he does not give it a name. I think it's representative of mainstream Hapkido, with a balance of joint locking, kicking and throwing techniques.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Wael.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service