HapkidoNetwork.com

Hapkido network and Hapkido forum: Make friends, share photos & more!

Working out today on my own today I had the thought that there are two ways of learning techniques: either while moving slowly or while moving quickly. I think both have their pros and cons just as anything else. I've learned numerous techniques in both ways. Doing a new technique quickly and with speed gives you the flow of the technique and doing it slowly gives you the accuracy.

While starting out with anything that your body is unfamiliar with we tend to overcompensate and use more muscle than is necessary to accomplish the perceived goal. In your experiences does going slowly and forcing that accuracy make for a better learning curve in a technique?

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Learning is a 3 step process. Memorization, habit and then instinct. To begin we must take our time. We go through the techniques slowly learning proper form and technique, memorizing the movements as we go along. To rush through this first step can be a serious detriment to learning the techniques. Until we memorize the movements we can go no further. Thought the constant practice of movements we learn to develope proper form and technique, making proper habits and in time begin to speed the movements up to create this habit as well. As we learn to execute techniques at increasingly more aggressive paces and resistance we being to memorize again. We memorize how these techniques should be executed as we add more realism into our training. Habit comes in as we do this repeatedly over time, ensuring proper technique and relearning where bad habit has been the norm. Over the years our training becomes more than just muscle memory. It becomes mental memory, instinct. No different than our fight or flight drive, a predators prey drive or a prey survival drive. We learn to only use the Ki finger when needed and not stick it out there 24/7. We learn when to breath in and exhale for techniques and taking blows. They all become part of our essence.

None of this happens overnight. No matter how much we May want to rush it. It starts out with simple and slowly executed techniques. Ever increasing our knowledge, speed and ability. Fast and slow have more than just their uses, but their places and times.

Couldn't say it better myself....no need to rush to failure (and improper technique or in some cases injury).

Often this applies to the bigger picture too, not just the individual technique but also the desire to advance....

Thanks for the insights everyone! I'm going to slow it down even more when learning where I can. Hard to do throws properly when going slowly though LoL but the entry can surely be slowed down. With footwork, I'm finding it to be as important and maybe even more important than the hand work. I don't want to rush anything and for me it really is the journey that matters, not the end result.

John, good point! My realization when I started Hapkido was that in order to teach you have to know your subject intimately. Not only that, but you have to learn how to teach it to each of your students as they all learn differently from you. That allows you to learn your subject over and over again from multiple angles. I do plan to teach eventually so will start learning the preferences as well.

I've heard that learning best takes place when learning it in multiple ways. Like the See - Do - Teach method. And using multiple input methods. Visually and kinetically for example.

Too funny John. You are the second person to tell me this in the past few years. Another friend of mine in Scotland grew up here as well. I like it well enough to call it my adopted home town :-) Come up for a visit if you ever get up this way again!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Wael.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service